This Website and the Sub Sites attached to it use cookies. For details please click here. By continuing to use this Website or any Sub Sites, you are consenting to the use of these cookies. You can switch off cookies at any time using your browser settings but if you do, this may affect your user experience.
Please wait...
New Scoring Rules functionality is now available to be added to fixtures, so you can now publish or edit your fixtures for the upcoming season. Please see the relevant help guide:
Club & County Board Sites: Scoring Rules
Competition Sites: Scoring Rules 
hide announcement

History of the Club


Montgomery Cricket Club can trace its routes back to the 1840's through the reports of games in the local press of the time. The earliest match that any reports can be found for was played in  on 17th September 1847 when the Shrewsbury Chronicle reported a game between 'eleven gentlemen of Montgomery and eleven of Newtown'. The same paper published the scorecard from a game in 1849 against Bishops Castle at Bishops Castle. Montgomery won by 8 wickets on that occassion and according to the article "A handsome entertainment, provided by the Bishops Castle gentlemen, was partaken of between the innings by the players and their friends"!

The earliest actual scorecard that exists for Montgomery Cricket Club is probably the oldest existing card that survives in Wales. It relates to a game played at Lymore Park against Llanidloes on 25th July 1851. Fiercely contested, Montgomery won by one run.

The club probably originally owes its existence to the Herbert family, the owners of Lymore Hall in the early 19th Century, who, as was the custom for wealthy landowners in those days, owned a private cricket ground on the present site and from time to time, raised a team from his tenants and occassionally paid professionals, to play against other teams raised by neighbouring landlords. The purpose of such matches was not only to provide entertainement and sport, but also to allow an opportunity for gambling on the outcome.


The Lymore Park ground owes it location to the fact that it was in the parkland immedietely in front of Lymore Hall - the impressive timber framed mansion of the Herbert Family, built in the 1670's. The Hall stood for over 250 years before being sold for demolition in 1931. Where the Hall once stood, is now an overgrown wood, over the access road, opposite the southern boundary of the ground.

As the years went by, the team came to represent Montogmery Town and the ground at Lymore Park became permanent. The Montgomery Times reported in 1899 that Lord Powys had given the Club free use of the Ground.

The Powys Estates still own the land today and Montgomery Cricket Club now formally lease the ground. The club are not only grateful to the Powys Estates for the lease of the land over the 150+ years that the club has been in existence, but also for the continued general support that the Estate gives to the club in all its activities - most recently allowing the club extra land for the expansion of the playing area.

The club has always played at Lymore, except for a short period in the 1920's when a serious disagreement broke out amongst members and the team moved, with their pavillion, to a ground at Caerhowel Hall. By 1934 good relations were restored and the team returned - with their pavillion!

There have been two significant changes at the ground over the years: the pavillion has moved onto the ground from it original position opposite the ground, near the old gardens of Lymore Hall; and, in 2006, the club moved the western and northern boundaries of the ground by between 10 and 25 metres, to increase the playing area by some 25% - also moving the square by 10 yards or so to the North, to a more central position for the newly sized ground.

Twenty-two of Montgomery vs a United England XI

In 1882 the Lymore Park Ground hosted what is probably the most memorable match in the history of the Montgomery Cricket Club - a United All England XI came to play a Montgomery 22 in an exhibition match. A newspaper report notes that the game took place over three days between 16th and 18th June 1882. Marquees and stands were erected and in perfect weather a large crowd watched the game. The All England XI scored 76 and 97, but with scores of 120 and 115, Montgomery won by 62 runs.

Alfred Eaton, 1870-1902

The most celebrated player to emerge from Montgomery was Alfred Eaton (1870 - 1902), after whom the Eaton Cup for Batting is awarded each year at the club. Alfred was born and brought up in Montogmery and his father was a butcher in the town. He first played for Montgomery in 1883, at the age of 15, scoring his first hundred for Montgomery in 1887 when he was just 17 (a monumental achievement in those days when entire teams often failed to score 100 runs in an innings!). Alfred Eaton left Montgomery to play as a professional cricketer for Warwickshire when he was about 22. However, he had to return almost immedietley, as business in the family butcher shop had increased to the extent that his father needed his help. Alfred Eaton continued to play for Montgomery until his premature death at aged 32, in 1902, from complications following  bicycle accident. His grave is in the cemetry of the Montgomery parish church of St. Nicholas and his gravestone has recently been renovated with funds kindly donated by the club and its members.

Thanks to...

All of the information on this Historical Notes webpage has been gained either from the excellent book "The Story of Montgomery" by Ann & John Welton (published in 2003 by Logaston Press) or from Mr John Jones of Hornbeam House, Garthmyl who has not only been a long standing member and player of the club, but has also spent much time in the last few years scouring the archives of all the local newspapers, photographing articles on sport in general in Mid Wales, but especially relating to Montgomery Cricket Club.




In 2011 we started a history project with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Below are some of the video clips from the work. More can be found here.

Harry Williams describes how the war affected the club.

Watching cricket on the first television in Montgomery and memories of Gilbert Parkhouse.

Montgomery's umpire P.R. Jones controversially no-balls a well known local bowler.

John Jones on his days playing cricket for Montgomeryshire.

Below are some more of the highlights of our history project. More audio files can be found here.

Nigel Vaughan on the beautiful setting and spirit of cricket at Montgomery.

Brian Purslow on removing cowpats and the correct batting technique at Lymore.

Eddie Williams describes P.R. Jones' teatime eating habits.

Bryan Bolderstone recalls watching cricket with his father and games on his fields at Weston.